Sunday, March 17, 2013

quinoaPORRIDGE

If you are looking for a good, simple & filling breakfast...this is it!

quinoaPORRIDGE.


I like to make a big batch of it on sundays, then we have it to eat throughout the week!    


Rob really enjoys it too!  I seem to consistently add him & his opinions about the food into my posts.  Probably because he is not a guy whose mission in life is to seek out & eat the foods that are the best for him & his health.  It's pretty simple, he likes things that taste good & that satisfy his hunger. Which means that I am always trying to make things that taste good, satisfy his hunger (and mine) & that are good for us as well!   


What I love about this recipe is the hardiness of it (satisfying him) & the healthiness of it (satisfying me).  I'm pretty sure that it's the quinoa that's really bringing it together for us here!  Voice in my head: "Quinoa, the key to compromising...& happy couples around the world!";)


Okay, back to the porridge & a bit more about the awesomeness of quinoa:  It is such an amazing food!  It is rich in iron, potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium & fiber.  It also contains all nine essential fatty acids making it a complete protein!  This makes it a great choice for everyone including vegetarians & vegans who do not eat animal protein.  It is also gluten-free!    


This recipe makes incorporating and eating quinoa...simple, quick & GOOD!  


ingredients.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 medium to large apple, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shredded
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp grade b maple syrup or your favorite sweetener (amount adapted accordingly)
cinnamon to taste (we like a lot)
almond milk to taste, or not
almonds to taste, or not.

how to.
Rinse & drain quinoa.  I actually like to soak mine for an hour or so (if possible) prior to rinsing and draining.  Place quinoa in a pot, add water & bring to a boil. Then reduce heat & let simmer for approximately 15 minutes, until water is completely absorbed.  Add apple, chia seeds, coconut, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon and then stir it up.  It is then ready to serve, simple as that!  I personally like to add a little almond milk & almonds to mine when i eat it.  ...Whether I eat it hot or cold, because it is really good both ways!

It is also fun to play around with this recipe to suite your tastes, the season or your mood!  

This recipe makes about 3-4 servings, so I typically double it for Rob & I.  Because as I mentioned, we like to have it ready to grab & eat during the week! 

enjoy!  xo. e.  















1 comment:

chedda_bob said...

One of my favorites! I am so lucky!!! :)